Reading for Enjoyment


In the last term/previous post, I have read so many articles about extensive reading and made reflective writing through this blog. I got really interested with extensive reading approach for promoting English proficiency. English proficiency here is covering all of the core competence of English such as writing, reading, listening, speaking, grammar and vocabulary. I have explained the nature of extensive reading in my previous post. It is an reading activity which the reading source is chosen based on the reader's reading level and interest. Extensive reading also means that reading in big amount of reading resource. The purpose is for the reader's enjoyment. The article entitled Using authentic materials for extensive reading to promote English proficiency by Guo gives proof the effectiveness of extensive reading to enhance English proficiency. Guo used authentic material for the reading source. He believes that authentic material is easier to find and catch the student's interest. The result show a significant improvement in vocabulary acquisition but not in grammar.

Implication : 
The result of some extensive reading researches which mostly show positive relation with student's English proficiency makes me curious "What if I apply it in my future class?". I want to have a research about this approach for my thesis. If it shows good impact, I will apply it in the future. I will ask my student to read for their enjoyment not forcing them to read standardize reading material.

Citation :
Guo, S. C. (2012). Using authentic materials for extensive reading to promote English proficiency. English Language Teaching, 5(8), 196.

Comments

Popular Posts